Thursday, October 8, 2009

Defense vs Offense


There has been a lot of talk about the Cowboys offense and Tony Romo. I wanted to see a scoring comparison of two units. I used the following criteria.

On offense I looked at fourth quarter scoring. How many points the offense scored in the fourth quarter. On defense I used how many points the defense allowed. Then I put that in context of how many points were scored the entire game. I then rated the fourth quarter in contex of how many times the fourth was the worst or best for each uint.

Defense. I looked at the last nine losses. In those games the defense allowed the most points in six of nine games. For further reference the other three times the second quarter was the leader. The defense has given up the most points in the fourth quarter, with the game on the line in six games. Three times the defense has given up the most points in the second quarter, before half time. The only fourth quarter shut out were against the Seahawks, when they had a huge lead and the Eagles when the game was over after the first quarter.

Offense. I looked at the last eight wins. The offense has scored the most points in 6 of those games. Further Tony Romo has his highest rating in the fourth quarter and led the league last season. The offense has been shut out in one game. The Broncos did that last season.

This proves to me that the offense has 75% of the time scored the most points in the fourth quarter and 66% of the games the defense has allowed the most points in the same quarter..Make what you will of the data, I just found it  interesting.

No comments: