Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I See No Trades Making Mavs Better

The Dallas Mavericks started the season with a lot of promise. They added new players and were playing at a high level. Lately all the trends are going down and the team is having trouble beating anyone. The bottom may have been hit with a home loss to the Timber wolves. They of three win on the road all season.

Grumblings have become louder with each loss. The ire of the fans seems to have become focused on Josh Howard. This season he has missed a lot of time with injuries. The problem is when he plays he has not played very well. So the rumors have started on the trade front. The Mavs have done nothing to dispel these rumors and instead of fed them. Several suspects have been talked about in the past few days and weeks. Josh trade partners, if rumors are to be believed, are Caron Butler, Andre Iguodala and Kevin Martin. I propose to look at their statistics extended to 48 minutes and see how they stack up with Josh.

Caron Butler......... F/G  16.7 ppg...6.8 rpg..42.2%/31.7 3'S..48 minutes avg..20.54 ppg..8.364 rpg
Andre Iguodala......F/G  20.7 ppg...7.0 rpg..42.6 %/31.7 3'S..48 minutes avg..24.84 ppg..8.4 rpg
Kevin Martin.........G  20.4 ppg...................38.4%/36.3 3'S...48 minutes avg...24.84 ppg
Josh Howard..........G/F 12.5 ppg...3.6 rpg...40%/26.4 3'S......48 minutes avg...23.07 ppg..6.664 rpg

All the potential trade partners have remaining year on their contracts. Josh's contract has a team option for next season. All potential trade partners want something more than Josh in return. They either want the Mavs to take additional contract/contracts or give up a young player. When you extend their minutes I see a lot of the same except with additional cost in additional contracts or the Mavs including a player they don't want to include. Unless I see a trade that makes better sense than these, I don't make any of these trades.

I also see a Josh Howard that is getting better as his injury heals. I see a player who can create his own shot and plays good defense. I am not saying I wouldn't trade Josh. I am saying I wouldn't trade Josh for any of these players.

No comments: